Cheesy Meatball Soup
COOK TIME: 45 min
- 1 bag Italian Style Meatballs | Buy on Instacart
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar dissolved in 1 ½ cup hot water
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (or ½ tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 8 oz. uncooked small shell pasta, or your favorite small pasta
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 cups shredded Italian cheese blend or shredded mozzarella
- In a Dutch oven or large sauce pan, heat olive oil and butter. Sauté diced garlic and onion.
- Add chicken broth, meatballs, crushed tomatoes, sugar water, basil, Italian seasoning, salt, black pepper, bay leaves, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 30 minutes.
- Add the dried pasta. Simmer and stir occasionally, until the pasta is cooked to al dente (still a little firm). 10 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add 1/3 grated parmesan cheese and stir. Cook over low heat until cheese has melted and soup has thickened.
- Garnish with chopped fresh basil and serve!